Tuesday 7 August 2012

Jess's UCC Updates: Part 2



Jess's UCC Updates: Part 2 (06/06/12)

Hey all,

I hope all is going well!  So much has happened since the day I arrived.  I cannot believe it is only my fourth day.  I am already beginning to get adjusted to my new life in Ghana.  I can honestly say I love it here and I am so incredibly happy.  

Right now, I am sitting on the balcony, overlooking the Camp 2 area in Accra.  There is a slight breeze, just enough to cool me down in this 87 degree, humid weather.  I love it here.  I am surrounded by palm trees.  I see women walking around with huge baskets of water, fish heads, fresh fruit, and many other items on their heads in large bowls and on platters.  I hear the pounding of fufu in the distance (casava root pounded into dough and served in soup).  There are sheep and goats roaming the dirt streets.  Merely 10 minutes ago I saw a little boy chasing a large herd down the street with a stick.   Yesterday I had two fresh, perfectly ripe mangoes from the fruit lady.  I might go get another one before dinner. It costs about a dollar. Everywhere I look I see little children running around and playing.  Unlike in the states, the kids here roam the streets constantly. It is not seen as neglect but merely is the way of life.  It is like another world here.  A much more relaxed way of life where one is never rushed but always has time to chat and have a long conversation.

I really lucked out.  My program is incredible. My peers are great traveling buddies and really understanding of what I am experiencing.  This program is super ethical and truly all about the kids.  I’m so inspired.

On Tuesday I began my first day helping in classes. The academic system here is incredibly different.  Children only go to school from 9-12 or 1 on some days.  There is much less order.  The focus is on rote memorization rather than critical thinking.  The level of student ability ranges greatly.  Sometimes the students understand barely any English, but most of the students know their alphabet, numbers, and are beginning to learn to read.  I feel a bit overwhelmed about how much needs to be done and how little I can realistically do.  The children, however, make every day worth it.  They are wonderful and fully open their hearts to the volunteers.  They're teaching me a bit of the local language every day and always greet me with big hugs, special handshakes, and by shouting out "madam, madam, madam".  

Unfortunately, there are also some major struggles:  
1. an absurd amount of attention anytime I go on the streets
2. the heat
3. the smell of open sewers when I walk on the side of the street
4. getting used to the CRAZY transportation system (they stuff approximately 24 people in vans called tro tros)

There is so much to say.  I could go on and on about my experiences here. How challenging my first shower was using two pails of water, what it's like drinking water out of bags, having ice cream come from a bag, seeing random packages of biscuits with Obama's face on them, randomly seeing lizards and cockroaches, etc.  But, I will stop here.   

Best,
Jess

P.S. I've attached a photo of the view from my balcony and of me and one of my favourite students (Sarah). 

No comments:

Post a Comment