Tuesday 7 August 2012

Jess's UCC Updates: Part 6

 Jess's UCC Updates: Part 6 (03/07/12)


Hello!

4 and a half weeks left in Ghana.  Wow.  I am nowhere near ready to come home.  

This week the two boys I have been working with, Nelson and Nakki, continued to make steady improvement on learning the alphabet.  Teaching is so full of ups and downs.  Sometimes, I am beaming with pride and some days I am scowling with frustration.  I sure have grown a soft spot for these two.  

I also worked with two groups in the intervention classroom on phonics.  It's been fun to help them connect the parts of words together with the sounds we've practiced.  There's nothing better than seeing them sound out the word and then identify it!  I really enjoy working with the older students and helping them gain the confidence needed to learn to read.  

Starting tomorrow I will be acting as teaching assistant in the classroom with Brendan.  I have worked with the staff to change around my placement in order to continue working with the two boys.  Unfortunately, I cannot do everything and have decided to pass along the phonics work to another group of volunteers.

This weekend, I travelled with a small group of volunteers to Wli Falls, Tafi Atome Monkey Sanctuary, and Roots Yard.  This is my first weekend where a staff member from Future Leaders did not come and it went very smoothly!  It was neat to lead the group from one tro tro station to the next and to eventually get to the right destination.  Wli Falls was the most beautiful waterfall I've ever seen.  It was incredible to stand under it and feel the water coming down at such a high pressure it felt like ice pellets.  

I've attached a picture of Naki and I sorting out the alphabet (which he couldn't recognize merely two weeks ago!) and me at Wli Falls.

Best,
Jess



No comments:

Post a Comment