Tuesday 7 August 2012

Jess's UCC Updates: Part 5

 Jess's UCC Updates: Part 5 (26/06/12)

Hey!

This week I feel completely comfortable for the first time.  I know what I'm doing and am figuring out how to spend my time.  I am beginning to take advantage of the connections I have at Future Leaders UCC.  Every week I want to spend an hour with the girls who work at the sewing centre and the hair salon downstairs.  One night I learned how to make a traditional dish called red red with our cook, Bernard, and also learned how to make a westernized version of a plantain dumpling. 

Sunday I went to church with Bernard.  It was fascinating to compare Ghanaian religion to what I've seen in the states.  At the end of the ceremony, they had me come up to the front and say what my name is, where I am from, and what I was doing there.  I felt very uncomfortable but am glad I pushed myself!

This week I am quite proud of the progress I've made with the new student.  He knows his letters from a - l.  Before he knew nothing.  I feel like a proud mother.  This week I will be working with him for half an hour every day, then spend half an hour with another new student, and for the rest of the time I will be working on phonics lessons with an intervention classroom for students who are behind academically.  

I have also been working hand in hand with the educational coordinator, Kirstie, who has an incredible knowledge base for the British educational system, the Ghanaian educational system, and how to implement a curriculum.  She is working with me on how to attach letter sounds to a movement and then how to connect these sounds to help students with reading.  She is working with the Ghanaian teachers on phonics as well. 
I am amazed by how much the three staff members do here.  It is neat to see exactly how the small, grassroots organization is done.  The three of them take care of absolutely everything.  Being a part of the behind the scenes work, such as reviewing and editing the new website, has been an incredible experience.  I'm definitely learning a lot about non-profits!

I've attached a couple photos of an adorable kid who insisted I take a picture of him by the beach, and Bernard and I cooking, and me and a couple of the boys serving lunch.  Enjoy!

Best,
Jess



No comments:

Post a Comment