Tuesday 7 August 2012

Jess's UCC Updates: Part 8


Jess's UCC Updates: Part 8 (16/07/12)


And the time keeps on ticking... 19 more days in Ghana!!!!

This week was a big one for me in terms of teaching.  I led phonics lessons every day in class 2 and also ran the introduction and other random segments of class - math problems on grouping, spelling problems, multiplication, and etc.  One day, Brendan could not attend class so I took over fully.  I was amazed!  The kids all listened to me and it went incredibly smoothly!  It's been a week full of ups and downs in regards to teaching and I am just so thankful to get this experience leading a class.  It is definitely going to make me feel more comfortable when I start working towards my teaching certification this fall.

On the weekend, one of my friends and I travelled to Kumasi - a city northwest of Accra.  It had a derelict European feel to it, definitely different than Accra.  We checked out a kente weaving village just outside the city as well as the market directly in the city.  The market was absolutely insane and never ending.  At one point we were completely lost, dodging our way through the meat section and almost getting hit in the head by a man carrying a plate of cow heads.  Ew.  On the last day we checked out the cultural centre and I had an hour long painting lesson, which was definitely my favourite part of the trip. 

I've attached a picture of a man working at a loom at the weaving village Bonwire and me painting.

Love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment