Tuesday 7 August 2012

Jess's UCC Updates: Part 7

Jess's UCC Updates: Part 7 (09/07/12)

Three and a half weeks left!  Ahhhhhh!  Time is flying by!  

This week our project director, Billa, told us the story of how Future Leaders UCC was created.   In 1998, Billa began teaching kids roaming the streets under a mango tree.  Through word of mouth, more and more kids began arriving until there were over 80 kids sitting under the tree!  After teaching all morning and coaching soccer all afternoon, Billa would work until 11pm each night to pay for school supplies for the children.  Many criticized him for not using his college education to get a high-paying job, but he did what he felt compelled to do; to make it easier for kids to get an education that came from a background like his.  He did not want their path to be as hard as his was, so he gave everything he had to help these children. 10 years later, he attracted the attention of a charity in England and has built a proper school with over 150 children.   I am in awe of Billa.  He still gives literally every penny to the kids.  That is the kind of person I want to be.

His story spoke to me like no other.  I am determined to continue with this project long after I leave Ghana; Billa suggested I become the American Volunteer Coordinator and I think I will.  I would love to continue spreading the word, raising money, and sharing about my experience here.  

Last week, I began as teacher assistant in Brendan's classroom.  Brendan is an incredible teacher; he keeps classroom control while maintaining a fun atmosphere.  So happy to get some hands on classroom experience.  Let the learning begin!

On Saturday, there was tennis tournament fundraiser for Future Leaders at the British High Embassy.  We brought a couple of the kids that live at the school along as a treat.  Watching them have their first experiences on a trampoline, on the swings, and working on their swimming skills was beautiful.  

Attached is a picture of Bill and I under the first mango tree he taught under and the kids with their papier-mâché balloons we made in afternoon school (which we will paint later this week).

Best,
Jess



No comments:

Post a Comment