Tuesday 14 August 2012

Jess's UCC Updates: Reflections from home


Jess, who volunteered at the centre for 9 weeks, has been writing updates throughout her placement at the UCC. Now she is back home in the States (via London for the Olympics!) but here are some excerpts from her final thoughts on her placement in Ghana. 

Jess writing Olympics poems with Class 2 

"I'm still trying to process exactly how I am feeling about everything I experienced this summer.  So many "experiences of a lifetime" I can barely keep track...


This summer, I've acquired a much greater understanding for the 'undeveloped' lifestyle.  The friends I've made are not people to pity but are people who just live with lower standards, not because they want to but because that's the way it is... If I could name Accra and Future Leaders UCC in one word, I'd say potential. The area of Africa I visited was bubbling with potential.  Potential to be better.


I have taken the role as American Coordinator for [Future Leaders].  I will be heading to different universities throughout the nation, presenting about what I have done this summer and how it is such an incredible opportunity.


It really has changed my life.  If any of you ever have questions or comments about what I've done or you feel the urge to get involved, feel free to contact me!"




No comments:

Post a Comment