Tuesday 7 August 2012

Jess's UCC Updates: Part 3

Jess's UCC Updates: Part 3  (11/06/12)


Wow, what an amazing week and weekend!

Here is my official plan for my 9 weeks here in Ghana:  
Week 1 - one-on-one academic tutoring with nursery students
Week 2 -  one-on-one academic tutoring 
Week 3 -  one-on-one academic tutoring 
Week 4 - assist in intervention classroom for students who are behind academically (not because of mental disabilities but merely because of outside factors such as needing to help the family at home)
Week 5 - teaching assistant for Brendan (the UK program director)
Week 6 - teaching assistant 
Week 7 - lead teaching Brendan's classroom
Week 8 - lead teaching 
Week 9 - lead teaching 

I will also be working one-on-one with Kirstie the educational coordinator to discuss how she created the curriculum for the school. We will be discussing the differences between Western/ European education and Ghanian education.  I will also attend phonics lessons with the other Ghanaian teachers.

The classroom experience so far has been incredible.  I work daily with the nursery students teaching them letters, numbers, and word recognition.  It has been challenging to teach - both because I have never had to break addition, subtraction, and word creation in such a simple light and because I am teaching these kids in a language they are trying to learn (most speak Twi at home).  I'm greatly looking forward to working with a specific group of students in a classroom at the end of my time here.  It has been challenging to have to split my time evenly among students during one-on-one time.  

One aspect of education that breaks my heart is that there is no component for special needs students.  They are merely ignored unless the student's family or school can pay 1,500cedi ($800)  for a teacher or 3,000cedi ($1,600) to be sent to a specialized school.  Right now, the school coordinator (Billa) is trying to scrounge together money to hire a teacher.  I work beside a special needs student named Jennifer and it is so difficult to watch her time being wasted as there is no one who knows how to teach a student of her caliber here.  There is also no system set up for these students after they finish school.  If their family passes away, these children will be completely on their own.

This past weekend I traveled to Cape Coast with another volunteer (Hannah) and the volunteer coordinator(Laura).  We lounged by the beach, had SHOWERS, and watched the local fishermen work on the beach.  We also visited Cape Coast Castle (the slave fort).  It was disturbing to learn the horrorific events that took place in this beautiful castle.  One cellroom they would take misbehaving slaves to.  After the room was filled with 60 people, they would close off the room until each one was dead.  No food, no water, and surrounded by others around you who are dead and rotting.  Absolutely revolting.  I am so ashamed of this history.

We spent one night in the east of Kakum National Park.  It was a rural area where there were no other tourists.  We got a tour of how the village produces mass amounts of palm nut oil and cocoa beans.  Then, we followed our guide through an hour and forty minute trek through the rainforest.  We arrived just as it was getting dark to a tree platform 20 feet above ground in the canopy where we spent the night.  Listening to the sounds of monkeys, birds, and other critters in the darkness gave me a feeling too great for words.  Breathtakingly beautiful.

I could go on and on.  There is so much great stuff going on overseas.  I believe I captured the most important elements of my week.  I hope your summers are going splendidly and are also filled with adventures!   Enjoy!

Love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment