Tuesday 7 August 2012

Jess's UCC Updates: Part 4

 Jess's UCC Updates: Part 4 (18/06/12)

Hello again,
I can't believe it is already week 3.  Time sure does fly by here.  

At the end of last week and the beginning of this week, I transitioned from working one-on-one with the nursery students to working one-on-one with an older, new student.  The adolescent boy just moved to Accra from the eastern Volta region.  He does not know his numbers, letters, and barely knows English.  Thus, it has been a major challenge to try to catch him up with even the nursery students.  

Some of the fun things I've checked out in Accra this past week are the Makola Cultural and Art Market.  I took a drumming lesson and visited Nima (a slum within Accra).  In Nima, we checked out a French/English school and met with a Togolese chief.  It was fascinating to hear the story of his people's emigration from Togo to Ghana and to hear more about the immigration hub-cap of Accra.

This past weekend, the four other program members and I travelled 3 hours in a tro tro (an overstuffed van) and took a boat to a remote beach area where the Volta lake and Atlantic Ocean meet.  There was no one else at the resort and it was incredibly relaxing to lounge in the sun, read, and journal all weekend. 

Still loving life out in Ghana!
Best,
Jess

P.S. I attached a picture of the welcome from the French/English school, Hannah and I with the Togolese chief and children in his tribe, and of my drum lesson.

I forgot to forward along the new volunteer website for Future Leaders UCC.  I am quoted on the home page and am in the first picture under 2012. :)


Neat to be having such an impact out here!

Jess




No comments:

Post a Comment